The town of Barton upon Humber has a long history of settlement, dating back to 400 AD. It was once the principal port of the Humber Estuary and was the largest town in North Lincolnshire when the Domesday Book was compiled in 1086.
The churches of Barton St. Mary’s and St. Peter’s are unusual in their proximity to each other. St. Peter’s Church is the earlier of the two and has a rare 10th century Anglo-Saxon tower and baptistery. It was made redundant in the 1970s and St. Mary’s became the parish church of the town. With 12th century origins, St. Mary’s Church is likely to have been built as a chapel-of-ease and grown over the centuries to its current size. It has a number of interesting features, including its intricately carved decorations and 13th century tower.
Churches on the Trail include:
St. John the Baptist Church, Whitton
All Saints’ Church, Winterton
St. Mary’s Church, Barton
St. Maurice’s Church, Horkstow
St. Lawrence’s Church, Thornton Curtis
Download this 26 page booklet for further details on the above churches including other local places of interest as well as places to stay and a map of the surrounding area.
Barton Upon Humber
PDF size: (2.04 Mb)
Find out what the weather is like at
Church Trails - Barton upon Humber and the surrounding area
Tell a friend about the days out leaflet for Church Trails - Barton upon Humber and the surrounding area