Thirsk Museum was established in 1975 with the aim of preserving objects that were disappearing from everyday use, but which told something of the history and customs of past generations who had lived and worked in Thirsk and the surrounding district. The building chosen for the Museum is itself of historical interest. In 1755 Thomas Lord, founder of Lord's Cricket Ground, was born here. It also stands close to the surgery where the author and vet James Herriot worked for many years. The Museum opened its doors to the public in 1977 and has been the centre for local history ever since.
PDF size: (1.16 Mb)
Download PDF leaflet